[Mimedefang] RE: Installing MD on a Solaris 8 box?

Dirk the Daring dirk at psicorps.org
Sun Mar 5 01:02:07 EST 2006

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 "Baker, Darryl" <Darryl.Baker at gedas.com> wrote:

>I would recommend uninstalling the Sun Sendmail packages before
>installing another version. This avoids a Sun patch from overwriting
>your newer version or any of your configuration. Do the same for Perl
>and any other Sun supplied program you update.

   BAD advice, at least as far as the Solaris 8 default Perl
installation goes. Quoting my earlier posting on this thread:

--- Cut here ---
   The Perl in the stock Solaris v8 is Perl v5.000_03, I think.
v5.00xxx for sure. You do NOT want to:

        1) Try to use it for anything
        2) Remove it

   You'll find that /usr/bin/perl is a link to /usr/perl5/bin/perl. Do
NOT tamper with the contents of /usr/perl5 !!! Some core Solaris
components rely on this version and location of Perl. Mess with it and
you run the risk of choking your entire system.

   However, there's nothing wrong with putting a newer version of Perl
elsewhere on the system and creating links in /usr/bin. The core
components that rely on /usr/perl5 are hardcoded to look there, not in
/usr/bin. So get Perl v5.8.x (I've used v5.8.6 and v5.8.8 with equal
success) and install it (I put mine in /opt/perl and linked as needed to
/usr/bin).
--- Cut here ---