[Mimedefang] Re: Justifying greylisting to management

Matthew S. Cramer mscramer at armstrong.com
Fri Mar 3 17:20:56 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 10:08:59AM +0100, Tomasz Ostrowski wrote:

> You're right. Although e-mail is often misused for file transfer -
> "ooh, a cool mpeg, let's e-mail it to all my friends".

Indeed.  In a week we are implementing a feature to remove multimedia
files from emails using MIMEDefang and replace them with a URI and
some scare text to say "click here to get your media file, and be sure
you are complying with our acceptable use policy."

I will track and report how many attachments are removed by this, and
how many are actually downloaded.  We won't be auditing for compliance
- we are just expecting the warning to scare people into not
redistributing this stuff in email.  ;-)

Matt

--
Matthew S. Cramer <mscramer at armstrong.com>          Office: 717-396-5032
Project Manager, Planning and Service Management    Fax:    717-396-5590