[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.57 is Released

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Tue Jun 20 13:18:05 EDT 2006

Matthew Schumacher wrote:

> I'm trying to come up with a way to test this new algorithm before I
> upgrade production systems. One thought I had was to call exit at the
> end of each filter and test.

You don't want to do that.  The multiplexor will complain loudly, and
mail will tempfail.  Your best bet is to set up a test system with 2.57.
The change should not make much difference to most people; only those
with buggy filters that would mysteriously fail occasionally will notice
that they now fail almost every time. :-)

> Vars created in filter_initialize().

... are available for the lifetime of the slave.

> Global vars such as $Sender or @Recipients.

... are available per message.  See the mimedefang-filter man page,
section "GLOBAL VARIABLE LIFETIME"

> Vars that are passed to the function.

... don't understand that.

Let me stress that this change does *NOT* alter the documented behavior
of MIMEDefang.  It may, however, expose bugs in incorrect filters that
rely on the old undocumented behavior of attempting to reuse the same
slave as much as possible.