[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin from MIMEDefang vs. spamd

Fredrik Nyberg nba at abo.fi
Mon Jun 26 02:54:21 EDT 2006

Josh Kelley wrote:
> On 6/14/06, Fredrik Nyberg <nba at abo.fi> wrote:
>> running spam_assassin_check() on mail produces different results than
>> dumping said to spamd; very different results indeed. Configs seem to be
>> to differ, too.
>
> MIMEDefang always runs SpamAssassin checks as the defang user (or
> whatever user you configured mimedefang to run under).  This means
> that you only use defang's Bayesian database and don't use per-user
> SpamAssassin configurations.  spamd uses separate Bayesian databases
> and checks for separate SpamAssassin configurations for each
> recipient.

This does not seem to be the case. I'm thinking that perhaps MD changes
the contents of the mail when parsing it, maybe some header changes.

<mimedefang.pl>

sub spam_assassin_mail (;$) {

 if ($sa_ver >= 3) {
        if (!defined($SASpamTester)) {
            my $object = spam_assassin_init(@_);
            return undef unless $object;
        }
        return $SASpamTester->parse(\@msg);

}
</mimedefang.pl>

> MIMEDefang also loads its own sa-mimedefang.cf file by default; that
> may affect its configuration.

Thank you, I didn't know that. The config had no effect, however.

Fredrik Nyberg