[Mimedefang] Re: Simplified single purpose mimedefang-filter

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Sat Jun 24 12:02:53 EDT 2006

On Jun 24, 2006, at 6:15 AM, reader at newsguy.com wrote:

> So the mail is passed on by smart host but must still contain envelope
> sender which is not something that can pass any type of lookup.
>
> 99% of my mail works fine its just one kind of scenario that doesn't
> and with my meager knowledge of all this I'm having a time debugging
> it.

Is all of your outbound mail failing, or just some of it?  what does
the outbound mail the fails have in common?  A common destination?

Is that the actual Mail From you're using?  Because I'm willing to bet
it wont pass an SPF check if the receiver is doing SPF.  So, if you're
only having a problem with _some_ receivers, then it might be that they
are all doing SPF checks.

And, I think yahoo is a domain which does SPF checks.  So, I wonder if
SBC-Yahoo's mail servers accept your message, and then yahoo-proper's
mail servers are rejecting them.  OR I wonder if SBC-Yahoo does the SPF
check, but doesn't tell you up front; they're just quietly disposing of
the message.  This could affect all of your email, or just email
heading to yahoo depending on which of these things they're doing.

(and, yes, asking yahoo is nearly pointless ... )

So, what is the actual Mail From you're sending?  And does that domain
have an SPF record?

(btw: you shouldn't have shown us the encoded part of your SMTP-AUTH
session ... I wont elaborate, but you should probably change that
password now)