[Mimedefang] Re: Simplified single purpose mimedefang-filter

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Sat Jun 24 11:43:39 EDT 2006

On Jun 24, 2006, at 8:00 AM, Paul Murphy wrote:

>> I'm starting to catch on a little here I guess.  In this  case I
>> already know that ISP mail hub accepts the message.  Just the verbose
>> output of mailx -v confirms that much.
>>
>> The `follow it up with them' is probably a non starter.  The ISP is
>> sbcglobal and calling as a user and expecting to get detailed
>> information from their mail logs seems like quite a long shot.
>
> So either find another ISP, or don't use their smarthost - there's no
> reason
> not to send direct unless you are on a dynamic address or have some
> configuration issue which prevents ISPs accepting mail from you
> directly.

Sbcglobal is, IIRC, one of the ISPs which makes you sign something
specific in order to keep your service from preventing direct outbound
access on port 25.  (ie. they as an ISP don't let their clients make
direct connections to port 25 other than to their own mail servers; but
they do have a web page you can go to to request an exception).

>>   050 235 ok, go ahead (#2.0.0)
>>   050 >>> MAIL From:<reader at reader.local.lan> AUTH=<>
>>   050 250 ok
>>   050 >>> RCPT To:<bobbie at lydia-productions.com>
>>   050 >>> DATA
>>   050 250 ok
>>   050 354 go ahead
>>
>> So the mail is passed on by smart host but must still contain envelope
>> sender which is not something that can pass any type of lookup.
>
> Um, there's no confirmation here that they have accepted the message
> and
> agreed to deliver it - I'd expect to see something like:
>
> 250 2.0.0 k5OEvOlr004930 Message accepted for delivery
> QUIT
> 221 2.0.0 relay.your.isp closing connection
>
> In this case, it has accepted the message, assigned it local ID
> k5OEvOlr004930, and confirmed that you have requested the connection be
> dropped.
>
> If you don't see these, your ISP has not accepted the mail.  I presume
> though
> that you just omitted them?

Actually, his transaction DOES show the 250 line.  The text after it
(whether it's a message id and "message accepted for delivery" as
sendmail does, or "ok" as the included text shows) is _entirely_
optional.  The 250 code is all the protocol specifies as being an
indication the message was accepted and will be delivered or passed on.

Though, the empty message might be affecting how the message is handled
once sbcglobal has it (assuming the message body wasn't omitted here).