[Mimedefang] Re: Simplified single purpose mimedefang-filter

Paul Murphy pjm at ousekjarr.org
Sat Jun 24 07:03:19 EDT 2006

> Do you mean each message generates more than one file?  So I'd look up
> the message ID in the cryptic massively longlined /var/log/mail.log
>  and somehow I'd now that was my test message then I'd
> track it down in several parts under 4/5 layers of subdiretories.

In the spool directory, you will find the message which was passed to
Sendmail in INPUTMSG, the commands to the daemon in COMMANDS, and so on.  You
will also find a Work directory which has the decoded message and all of its
parts extracted, and also possibly a mbox file of the message if your filter
includes the call to   md_copy_orig_msg_to_work_dir_as_mbox_file();

This is much more useful for debugging than a copy of the message sent to
another mailbox or dumped out via an alias to a file, but if you want to do
this, just call action_add_recipient with the correct options to add an
address to all messages.

> I'm probably misunderstanding your point here because that sounds
> like quite a lot of work when a nice mbox formatted duplicate
> could be so
> easy to find and read... even `mutt -f mbox_file' would be an easy way
> to see what exactly is being shipped out the door.

How much work is it to add a switch to the startup file?

Plus, if you are trying to work out why external messages are failing, none
of this helps - the only information you need is in the Sendmail log, where
it confirms that the external relay accepted the message.  From that point
on, they accept responsibility for delivering it - follow it up with them.

Paul.