[Mimedefang] Re: Simplified single purpose mimedefang-filter

reader at newsguy.com reader at newsguy.com
Fri Jun 23 19:59:14 EDT 2006

"Paul Murphy" <pjm at ousekjarr.org> writes:

>> > I want to see *EXACTLY* what this mail contains as it leaves my mta.
>> > I want a copy of my test mails dropped somewhere just as they appear
>> > going to smarthost hub.
>
> Run MIMEDefang with the -d switch, which leaves the spool directory intact.
> Your mail log lists the message ID assigned to each message, so for message
> ID k5NLXoYw007237, you would find all of the files (including INPUTMSG) in
> /var/spool/MIMEDefang/mdefang-k5NLXoYw007237 (or wherever your spool files
> are stored).

I'm probably way off the track here:

Do you mean each message generates more than one file?  So I'd look up
the message ID in the cryptic massively longlined /var/log/mail.log
 and somehow I'd now that was my test message then I'd
track it down in several parts under 4/5 layers of subdiretories.

I'm probably misunderstanding your point here because that sounds
like quite a lot of work when a nice mbox formatted duplicate could be so
easy to find and read... even `mutt -f mbox_file' would be an easy way
to see what exactly is being shipped out the door.

Somewhere back down the road I did this with rules in sendmail and
passing everything to procmail and back again.  It left a nice mbox
formatted pile of my test messages.  That is what I hoped to
accomplish with MIMEdefang.

Several posts on line in comp.mail.sendmail and other places refer to
MIMEdefang as a way to do that but none of them tell how.