[Mimedefang] Should I try to do MIMEDefang with Mailscanner forbackup MX

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Jun 20 16:20:31 EDT 2006

David,

Thanks for the reply.
----- Original Message -----
From: "David F. Skoll" <dfs at roaringpenguin.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 20, 2006 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] Should I try to do MIMEDefang with Mailscanner
forbackup MX

> Steve Campbell wrote:
>
>> I would like to install MIMEDefang on both of these boxes, keeping MS
>> and SA, to block those backdoor secondary-MX spammers.
>
> You should use either MIMEDefang or MailScanner, not both.
> MIMEDefang and MailScanner do roughly the same thing (though the way
> they do it and their particular capabilities are different.)

I'm not sure how to block those emails from the secondary to the mailhub and
still retain functionality of the backup MX in MS/SA. MIMEDefang could
destroy these at the MTA level also, not MS. Blacklisting in MS is not an
option because it doesn't provide for a backup MX without editing files.

Other thoughts or experiences?

Thanks very much.

Steve