[Mimedefang] MIMEDefang 2.57 is Released

Matthew Schumacher matt.s at aptalaska.net
Tue Jun 20 14:10:08 EDT 2006

David F. Skoll wrote:
> Matthew Schumacher wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to come up with a way to test this new algorithm before I
>> upgrade production systems. One thought I had was to call exit at the
>> end of each filter and test.
>
> You don't want to do that.  The multiplexor will complain loudly, and
> mail will tempfail.  Your best bet is to set up a test system with 2.57.
> The change should not make much difference to most people; only those
> with buggy filters that would mysteriously fail occasionally will notice
> that they now fail almost every time. :-)

Right, I understand, which is why I want to make the the test system
absolutely fail every time instead of almost every time.  However, the
only way I can think of to kill the state every time regardless of which
slave is called is by killing the slave.  Perhaps I'm being a little
paranoid here, but having a test system that explicitly kills the state
after every call is a great way to insure filters will work as intended.

>> Vars that are passed to the function.

Stuff like this:
my($entity, $fname, $ext, $type) = @_;

> Let me stress that this change does *NOT* alter the documented behavior
> of MIMEDefang.  It may, however, expose bugs in incorrect filters that
> rely on the old undocumented behavior of attempting to reuse the same
> slave as much as possible.

While I was careful to not depend on state, there could be something
that slipped though the cracks so I'm wanting a real black and white
method of testing this to make sure all is well before upgrading.  I
don't have any reason to believe it won't work fine and I can't spot
anything in my filter, but a very ridged test system would ease my paranoia.

Thanks again,
schu