[Mimedefang] RHEL4 milter problem

David F. Skoll dfs at roaringpenguin.com
Mon Jul 31 14:28:16 EDT 2006

Michael Glad wrote:

> I run mimedefang on an TCP port and accept connections from the
> local sendmail as well as directly from sendmail of a number of client
> sites.

Ah, OK.

> I've done a little more debugging and established that it is the
> remote connections that cause the problem. Eg from servers running sendmail
> 8.12. This is bad news -- I cannot easily have them upgrade their sendmail
> daemons.

> So is there a way to enable mimedefang built with the milter library of
> sendmail 8.13 to allow connections from 8.12 sendmail daemons?

No.  You need to build MIMEDefang against the Sendmail 8.12 Milter
libraries.  This might be somewhat painful if you have 8.13 installed;
you'll need to build against a sandbox copy of libmilter.

MD compiled with 8.12 libmilter will work with Sendmail 8.12 and 8.13
(but you won't be able to use the 8.13-only Milter extensions like
"quarantine".)  MD compiled with 8.13 libmilter will *not* work with
Sendmail 8.12.