[Mimedefang] Opinions

Cormack, Ken ken.cormack at roadway.com
Tue Jul 25 14:49:58 EDT 2006

I'd like to ask the group for a recommendation regarding the number of MD
child threads I should run.

My sendmail MAX_DAEMON_CHILDREN is 40, on a system with sendmail 8.13.7, MD
2.57, SA 3.1.3, and CLAMD 0.88.3.  My typical average mail volume is approx
5-7GB/day (each server), across 38K-60K connections/day (each server) -
roughly double what they were handling 2-3 years ago.  Anyone have any
thoughts?  Is there a baseline (or optimum?) ratio of sendmail
children-to-mimedefang threads I should be considering?

My systems are a pair of older dual-proc (866MHz) Compaq DL380's, with 2GB
RAM each, getting close to hitting the performance ceiling.  I'm just trying
to stretch a few more months of life out of some aging systems, while
management decides what they want to do (and how soon).

Ken