[Mimedefang] SPF and really stupid mailers

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Jul 12 11:12:18 EDT 2006

This morning, I had an issue come up with a customer involving
Hallmark.com trying to send a greeting card through our filters.
Apparently Hallmark uses the email address of the sender as entered on the
web form as the SMTP  Mail From: data.  That's all well and good until
someone uses a domain like Adelphia.net who has an SPF record that says
"-all".  General practice is to add 5 points for SPF hard failures like
this, so the message eventually bounces.

I explained what happened to the customer, and he accepted it, but i'm not
sure about the end user. (She was sending the card to herself.)  Those
e-cards always struck me as a bit lame anyways...

Anyways, my question is how do you all handle stupid mailers like Hallmark
when users complain about them getting blocked for poor email practices.

---
SPAM(tm) Ingredients:  Pork with Ham, Salt, Water, Modified Potato Starch,
Sugar, Sodium Nitrate

William Brown
Web Development & Messaging Services
Technology Services, WNYRIC, Erie 1 BOCES
(716)821-7285