[Mimedefang] What is the order of things that occur

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Tue Jul 11 16:00:05 EDT 2006

Jan-Pieter,
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jan-Pieter Cornet" <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 3:07 PM
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] What is the order of things that occur

> Three things:
>
> 1) did you enable the filter_recipient call, by setting
> MX_RECIPIENT_CHECK=yes in the rc.mimedefang startup script?
> (or try to determine if the "mimedefang" process is running with the
> "-t" switch)

In a second note, I mentioned that I uncommented but didn't change the
sysconfig parm here.

> 2) Didn't we just discuss this very same setup with you, in a thread
> that started here?
> http://lists.roaringpenguin.com/pipermail/mimedefang/2006-June/030458.html

Yes, but this thing went round and round. I eventually got it working with a
lot of help from the list. New user, what can I say. I'll try to be more
careful. The end result of the working setup is totally different from what
the original thread started out as.

> 3) Since this will tempfail if the primary server is down, there really is
> no point at all in having the secondary MX. If all you are going to do is
> tempfail the message if the primary is down, then it is _much_ better to
> remove the secondary MX altogether.
>
> In the current internet, there isn't any point in having a secondary
> MX just for the purpose of fallback, if your primary server is mostly
> up.

My boss is afraid of losing the secondaries. He feels that if these tempfail
due to the primary being down, the secondary would hold them and we could
flush the queue to deliver them faster and with control of it in our hands.

> This would be a lot easier:
>
> domain1 is local to server1, and has server1 as the only MX,
> domain2 is local to server2, and has server2 as the only MX.
>
> And it works just as well.

Agreed.

Sorry to have been such a bother. I'm done with it now and won't question
the list any more about it. My editing mistake made me think that maybe I
didn't understand the sendmail workflow before I discovered it. I was
checking the files immediately after posting, and I usually check prior to
posting.

I've learned alot about MD (and sendmail). Thanks for all the help from the
list members. And I apologize again.

Steve