[Mimedefang] Non-routable addresses in HELO

John Rudd john at rudd.cc
Mon Jul 10 13:26:40 EDT 2006

On Jul 10, 2006, at 7:57 AM, Michael Lang wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 09:17 -0500, Jim McCullars wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 9 Jul 2006, Dirk the Daring wrote:
>>
>>>      Obviously, if I have sending hosts on my network that really
>>> did have
>>> non-routable addresses, this would be a possible problem (altho the
>>> simple
>>
>>    I just reject when someone sends an IP address as a HELO, and it
>> is not
>> their actual IP address.  In filter_sender():
>
> i remember an exploit with negative Integers as helo name ... and as
> RFC
> 821 states
>
>  """This command is used to identify the sender-SMTP to the
>             receiver-SMTP.  The argument field contains the host name
> of
>             the sender-SMTP."""

If you're going to be a stickler about what the RFC says, in what you
require about the sender, then it's probably a good idea to be a
stickler about the RFC in how your server operates as well.
Specifically, you may not refuse the message based upon the HELO
argument.

My point being: Seems rather hypocritical to complain about the lack of
merits of the client based upon lack of RFC compliance ... while
advocating lack of RFC compliance in your server.