[Mimedefang] Starting all over to kill invalid users

Adam Lanier adam at krusty.madoff.com
Fri Jul 7 12:31:32 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 11:45 -0400, Steve Campbell wrote:
> Right you are. My statement was a little inaccurate in that if you don't use
> the MX, you aren't using DNS for the normal delivery to a domain. Maybe I'm
> misreading my maillog. My nsswitch.conf has "files, dns" in it, so it should
> be reading "hosts".  The log entry indicates using the public address for
> the relay, but this is for the delivery of the message. MD may be doing
> something different during the check of valid users. I doubt it though.
>
> Anyway, based on my previous example of how I am using this subroutine, what
> should I put into my $relay variable to make it use the address? Or better
> yet, where does it tell me what I am using when this is performed?

I'm a little confused by your use of the term 'public address' for the
relay.  Why are you using a different address for the host than what DNS
is using?

If you want to avoid using a hard-coded IP address however, and don't
yet have a DNS server setup on the MD host, you can simply add another
entry in your hosts file that is distinct from the existing entries.
For instance, if you're currently using foo.mailbox.host add a new entry
with a different and unique hostname and the same IP address

10.10.1.1		foo.mailbox.host
10.10.1.1		bar.mailbox.host

and use that in the md_check_against_smtp_server function call.  If it
works you know that MD is using your hosts file.  If not, then your
address resolution is not working as you expect.  It seems to me that
you're trying to mask the actual address of an existing host with an
entry in your hosts file.

Without knowing more about the setup of your test MD box (mailertable,
hosts, dns etc), it's kind of hard to diagnose why sendmail would be
using a different address.  Keep in mind though, that the $rcpt_host
variable passed to filter_recipient is exactly what sendmail thinks is
the next hop for this recipient, thus the host most likely to know
whether that address is valid or not.

Confused?  Me too, good luck.