[Mimedefang] Starting all over to kill invalid users

Steve Campbell campbell at cnpapers.com
Fri Jul 7 11:45:15 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adam Lanier" <adam at krusty.madoff.com>
To: <mimedefang at lists.roaringpenguin.com>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: [Mimedefang] Starting all over to kill invalid users

> Sendmail uses whatever address resolution mechanisms you have setup on
> the host (nsswitch.conf).  The [ad.dr.es.s] idiom tells sendmail not to
> do MX resolution on the host in brackets.

Right you are. My statement was a little inaccurate in that if you don't use
the MX, you aren't using DNS for the normal delivery to a domain. Maybe I'm
misreading my maillog. My nsswitch.conf has "files, dns" in it, so it should
be reading "hosts".  The log entry indicates using the public address for
the relay, but this is for the delivery of the message. MD may be doing
something different during the check of valid users. I doubt it though.

Anyway, based on my previous example of how I am using this subroutine, what
should I put into my $relay variable to make it use the address? Or better
yet, where does it tell me what I am using when this is performed?

Thanks for the help.

Steve