[Mimedefang] Starting all over to kill invalid users

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Fri Jul 7 08:36:45 EDT 2006

Steve Campbell wrote on 07/06/2006 05:11:25 PM:

> 2).   It would be nice to be able to do the md_check_against_smtp_server

> using an IP address as opposed to a hostname for the variable
$rcpt_host.
> Looking at my logs, I see where it checks the IP defined by my DNS for
the
> $rcpt_host, even though I have a different internal address defined in
my
> host file (much like sendmail does if you don't put square brackets
around
> the IP), so I guess it is working correctly. Is there anyway to force
the
> function to use an alternately-defined IP for a hostname?

GAH!!! Hard coding IP addresses whenever not absolutely necessary is one
of my pet peeves.  What happens when that server gets moved to a different
VLAN and the address changes.  Odds are that someone will forget the
numeric address was hard coded into your filter and the whole thing stops
working.  Remembering to update it once in the DNS is a no brainer.

Why would you want to use IP instead of name?  Don't your users resolve
the mail server's name via DNS anyways?  I know that in most POP/IMAP
clients you do, as well as Lotus Notes.  Can't speak for M$ Exchange
though.

DNS was invented to do away with having to maintain hosts files.

Can you explain the scenario better, we might understand why you might
need to use IP address, but I'm sceptical of the need