[Mimedefang] Creating & using a ram disk for Mimedefang's spool files

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.com
Fri Jan 20 14:18:19 EST 2006

Hi Folks,

Sorry to bother you guys with this but I'm really not sure just how to go
about doing this.

I'm using Redhat 7.2 and Mimedefang 2.48. I want to move
/var/spool/MIMEDefang onto a RAMdisk.

I've looked at http://www.mimedefang.org/node.php?id=27   I tried the
command suggested for unix (mount -t tmpfs -o
size=200m,mode=0700,uid=defang,gid=defang /dev/shm /var/spool/MIMEDefang)
but got this error message:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/shm,
       or too many mounted file systems

Should I create a RAMdisk  the way it is suggested in
http://www.vanemery.com/Linux/Ramdisk/ramdisk.html  ??

If so, then how do I move (mount?) /var/spool/MIMEDefang to the RAMdisk?

I suppose this is probably simple enough to do but I've managed to make
myself nervous about trying it. Can someone here help me get this done? I'ld
sure appreciate it.

Lisa Casey