[Mimedefang] Question for the HOWTO page

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Jan 31 13:33:29 EST 2006

Paul Murphy wrote:

>The stock filter has a non-dangerous set of defaults.  If the change you
>proposed was included in the stock filter, many sites would be bouncing
>important files with no indication to the recipient that anything was going
>wrong.
>
>By all means do it in your own filter, but leave the stock filter alone.

I wasn't proposing changing the stock behavior.  I was suggesting
including a
2- or 3-way switch controlled by a variable that allowed the behavior to
be made
more or less permissive, and have it controlled by a variable.

The variable would be set so that the gate chosen would continue to be the
current behavior.

I.e.

my $extreme_paranoia = 0;

    if ($extreme_paranoia == 1) {
         # bounce it with a warning...
    } elsif ($extreme_paranoia == 2) {
         # silently drop it...
    } else {
         # default: flag the spam
    }

Just to include the code in the template, so it offers some alternatives
that
could be turned on.

-Philip