[Mimedefang] Issues with hotmail.com

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Fri Jan 27 20:27:18 EST 2006

I've noticed that I've been getting email lately that looks like:

    by mail.redfish-solutions.com (8.13.1/8.13.1) with ESMTP id k0REdJbh004285

    for <philipp at redfish-solutions.com>; Fri, 27 Jan 2006 07:39:20 -0700

     Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:39:19 -0800

     Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:39:18 -0800

    Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:39:18 GMT

From: "azita zaden" <eurowinerloto2006 at msn.com>

Bcc:

Subject: congratulations!!! your e-mail has won a lottery prize.

Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 14:39:18 +0000

and I was wondering about this.

My theory is that the Hotmail mailer receives the email, decides that it
already
has an X-Originating-IP: line, and doesn't add one.

The problem is this:  when you then go to report this spammer to Hotmail by
forwarding the mail to then, their software looks at the
decides it isn't one of their networks, and sends back an automatic
reply saying:

 > Unfortunately, in order to process your request, Hotmail Support
needs a valid MSN/Hotmail hosted account.

and your complaint never gets handled.  The spammer then continues to spam
with impunity.

So...  Couple of questions.

Anyone have a hotmail.com account that they can test my theory with?
All they
need to do is post this list from their email account with a forged

And secondly...  Anyone have (1) a MdF filter to use against this?  And
(2) a
set of SpamAssassin settings that they are especially happy with?

Thanks,

-Philip