[Mimedefang] Skipping scan on Forwarded mail - "Forward as Attachment"

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Wed Jan 25 02:20:45 EST 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Mathew Thomas wrote:

> Some of our staff received W32/MyWife.d at MM  virus which were sent to
> them as forwarded mail as Attachment.
>
> If the virus is not part of the forwarded mail attachment, the system
> is picking up the viruses.  Will mimedefang scan forwarded mail which is
> sent as attachment? How deep it will scan?

That's up to you (or better your mimedefang-filter); you can setup MD to
scan the message awhole, each part individually (or both), you can unpack
archives and scan its content manually (unless your virus scanner does not
do it itself or your filter knows more archive formats).

There is no "depth" limit in MD, however, you can limit the number of MIME
parts, the message may contain.

BTW: If the attachments are sent via an archive, or Exchange-style MS-TNEF
(which are archives, too), MD will see them as one single MIME part you
have to unpack and scan yourself.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser