[Mimedefang] Problem fixed?

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.com
Tue Jan 24 14:33:16 EST 2006

Hi,

It's me again -- that person whom you are all probably tired of hearing from
:-)

I may have fixed my problem of Mimedefang driving up my systems load
averages to the point of the system becoming almost unusable.  Here's what I
did:

I deleted my Bayes database (based on a suggestion from someone  that it
might be a corrupt bayes database). I also increased some mimedefang
timeouts:

In /etc/init.d/mimedefang I changed MX_BUSY from 600 seconds to 1200 seconds

In sendmail.cf I changed this line:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`mimedefang',
`S=unix:/var/spool/MIMEDefang/mimedefang.sock, T=S:5m;R:5m')  to end in
S:30m;R:30m

(I know I need to make that change in sendmail.mc and I will later).

So far I've had mimedefang running again for close to an hour with load
averages staying well below 1.0

This still doesn't explain why, when Sendmail/Mimedefang has been running on
this box without problems for a long time, this problem of load averages
suddenly occured and I'ld still like to figure that out but for now
mimedefang is running again and I hope customer complaints about spam will
start to stop.

So far so good...

Lisa Casey