[Mimedefang] Puttting MIMEDefang spool on tmpfs

Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com Matthew.van.Eerde at hbinc.com
Mon Jan 23 18:19:20 EST 2006

Lisa Casey wrote:
> Figuring out WHY mimedefang is suddenly shooting up the load averages
> when it worked so well for quite some time is what I ought to do to
> slove the problem. Knowing why will tell what the cause is.
>
> I'm at home now but tomorrow I'll look at cron jobs, etc. What else
> should I take a look at? There's nothing that I can  think of right
> off hand that I have changed or added around that same time.

Bayes is a suspicious candidate... but try a larger approach first.

Comment out all the SpamAssassin calls in your filter and see if the load average shoots up... if it still does, look at what else you're calling.

If the SpamAssassin calls are to blame, try turning off all the various features of SpamAssassin and running SpamAssassin minimally.  Then add features back one at a time until the load average shoots up again.

If it turns out to be Bayes, the Bayes database may have achieved critical mass or just have gotten corrupt - deleting the database is a short-term fix.  Lowering the expiry time may be a longer-term fix.

--
Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com               805.964.4554 x902
Hispanic Business Inc./HireDiversity.com       Software Engineer