[Mimedefang] Virus hoaxes

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Fri Jan 20 08:25:01 EST 2006

Matthew.van.Eerde (at) hbinc.com wrote on 01/19/2006 05:30:21 PM:

> Kenneth Porter wrote:
> > I just received a virus hoax ("life is beautiful") forwarded from one
> > of my users, so I sent results of my google (including Snopes and
> > BreakTheChain) upstream to previous recipients.
> >
> > Now I'm wondering why Clam (configured in MD) doesn't treat hoaxes,
> > like phish, as just another virus. Is there some other system that's
> > targeted at stopping hoaxes?
>
> How about a system targeted at blathering christmas letters? ;)

That would be nice.  As for the hoaxes, Steffen mentions Nigerian scams
and SA.  All it would take is a rule set to detect the hoaxes.

> Hoaxes aren't really all that serious of a problem.

Until someone sends out one telling you to delete an impoprtant system
file or perform some other detrimental action.

Then there's the UNIX virus...  It operates on the honor system.  Log in
as root, and type "cd /;rm -rf *"