[Mimedefang] SOT: Net::CIDR::Lite

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Wed Jan 18 16:27:42 EST 2006

I was looking at this module, and noticed a couple of short-comings.

(1) it doesn't return a failure code, only blurts a message via "confess"
    with things go wrong;

(2) it doesn't allow you to save a pointer into each address block/range
   and then retrieve it later and allow you to use it as a cookie or a
handle
   to another object.

(3) it doesn't allow you to insert "0.0.0.0/0" into the list.

These are issues that will need to be resolved before this package is
more generally useful.

I wanted to put a prototype filter up on the wiki, but adding workarounds
to these deficiences in Net::CIDR::Lite ended up being almost as long as
the "useful" part of the filter itself.

Anyone want to work with me on getting patches worked out, tested,
and integrated into the next version?  I can attach what I've done so far...

-Philip