[Mimedefang] Stream_by_domain

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Wed Jan 18 10:52:49 EST 2006

DFS wrote on 01/18/2006 10:41:06 AM:

> It depends on the MTA.  I believe Sendmail is smart enough to notice
that
> both MX hosts have the same IP address, and send the mail over one SMTP
> session.

I sort of expected that to be the case.  That's why I asked the follow up
question.

> Well, the downsides are you'd use up 50 or more IP addresses (which
> may or may not be a concern for you), and you'd use more bandwidth.
> If you're a very large site, you'd probably annoy people who send mail
> to lots of your domains (though most of those people are spammers
> anyway.)

I'll have to see if I can get away with that.  I'm not that concerned with
the bandwidth.  Much of the spam comes in over night when our BFPs (Big
Fat Pipes) are idle.

> As a means of avoiding stream_by_domain, it's a good idea.

That's what I want to do.  I hate the idea of accepting mail and then
remailing it and creating the bounce if it is spam.  I'd much rather issue
the tempfail to someone else's server.