[Mimedefang] Adding filter_helo support

Philip Prindeville philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com
Tue Jan 17 14:53:07 EST 2006

Jan Pieter Cornet wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 02:15:25AM -0700, Philip Prindeville wrote:
>

>>Ok, some progress...  I've installed the package, I'm running it currently.
>>
>>Anyone have any comments on it?
>>

>Yes: why do you remove the HELO argument in filter_sender? This means
>you're breaking compatibility for those who don't want to use filter_helo.
>I don't think that change is necessary?

It was previously passed in filter_sender() because it wasn't available
earlier
(since obviously there was no support for "helos"). This was a design
short-coming. And it's an attempt to KISS, by dividing and conquering the
problem...

In any case, the variable continues to be present in $Helo.

>Also, your code assumes you cannot call smfi_setreply in the helo()
>callback, but that assumption is wrong. At least, it is according to
>the milter API documentation. It's probably very useful to set a reply
>after HELO!

Oh, right. I pulled a lot of code from the MXRelayOK(), where it wasn't
available... I'll rework that. Or if you have patches... ;-)

>I wonder what the behaviour of your patch is when returning 421, other
>4xx or 5xx error codes from HELO, to various other MTAs... have you tested
>anything like that?

Want to telnet to my server and check it out?

-Philip