[Mimedefang] Mimedefang errors: What might be the cause?

Rick Aliwalas rick at cuc.com
Sat Jan 14 23:51:34 EST 2006

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Lisa Casey wrote:

> Hi,
>

>> > Also - how do I find out how many slaves Mimedefang is configured to
> have
>> > and should I increase that? If so, how?
>>
>> Check your startup script.
>>

> I looked in the startup script: /etc/init.d/mimedefang   The only things in
> there that have to do with slaves are:
> # MX_SLAVE_DELAY=3
> # MX_MIN_SLAVE_DELAY=0
> # MX_LOG_SLAVE_STATUS_INTERVAL seconds
> # MX_LOG_SLAVE_STATUS_INTERVAL=30
> # MX_STATUS_UPDATES=yes
> # MX_MAX_RSS=10000
> # MX_MAX_AS=30000
>
> Quite honestly none of these look like settings I could tweak to increase the
> maximum number of slaves. In my maillog I have this:
>
> Jan 14 10:40:23 Raydeus-Dee mimedefang-multiplexor[1211]: started;
> minSlaves=2, maxSlaves=10, maxRequests=500,
> maxIdleTime=300, busyTimeout=600, clientTimeout=10
>
> and I think the maxSlaves looks like it is low to me.
>
> By the way, I'm using RedHat 7.2, mimedefang version 2.48, and SpamAssassin
> version 3.0.1  running on Perl version 5.8.5 (I'm basically using MimeDefang
> to run Spamassassin).
>
> Guess I need more help then this to increase maxSlaves. Sorry.

Are MX_MINIMUM and MX_MAXIMUM set to the defaults?  It's says in my config
file (/etc/sysconfig/mimedefang) that "The default value of 2 is probably
  too low".  I set them as follows:

 	MX_MINIMUM=4
 	MX_MAXIMUM=30

I got the same errors as you when my machines were under load and bumping
these values made everything happy happy.

-rick