[Mimedefang] validating 'possibly forged' helo IP's?

James Ebright jebright at esisnet.com
Sat Jan 14 21:41:57 EST 2006

Actually,. IMHO most ISPs provide some form of rDNS for the IP space
they maintain... if you have a block from an ISP larger than say a /29
then I would bet they have swiped the space to you as well... making the
rDNS setup YOUR responsibility... not theirs.

Some things that do NOT work correctly (or at all in some cases) without
rDNS for your customers "assuming your an ISP"
FTP
Email
IRC

It is trivial to setup PTR records for any size of IP space, you are
talking about less than 20 lines of shell code for a fairly complex
setup, can do it in one typed in for loop if you want.... so there
really is no excuse to not have any PTR records at all.

Now, if your complaint is they wont customize it.. well... there still
are some ISPs that believe in customer service, I woudl go find one of
those :-)

Jim