[Mimedefang] 40K+ emails a day and choking update

Stephen Ford stephenmford at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 20:16:04 EST 2006

Ok, this is odd.  At 7:30PM all of a sudden, the
server started purring along.  It still has 2000+
messages on the mail relay sending it mail but the CPU
is under 50% and less then 30% of the memory is being
used :-/

Could it have been slow dns responses that caused the
backlog?  I'm wondering if our pipe was being used so
heavily during the working hours.....  This is a new
box that doesn't have any ports open to the big bad
internet (remember we have a virus scanning box that
takes mail first) and I didn't see any strange
processes.....

Why would this thing being choking on 2000+ messages
at 6:30PM and then be working like a champ at 7:30PM
and still have 2000+ messages?