[Mimedefang] Including archetypal filters to include in release?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 10 15:11:42 EST 2006

--On Tuesday, January 10, 2006 12:39 -0700 Philip Prindeville
<philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:

> Joseph Brennan wrote:
>
>> You will reject legitimate mail from variously misconfigured servers.
>> They will tend to be run by nonprofits and small businesses.  Remember
>> that the purpose of the exercise is not be RFC cop but to cut down on
>> spam.  I think you'll have to back off rejecting these and have to
>> score for this instead.  That's my experience anyway.
>

> Ok, I'll bite.  Why specifically small businesses and nonprofits?  And
> which specific check will reject them?

We score for bad $Helo and sometimes we reject when a message has other
spammy features.  Whenever I get a report of this, it always turns out
to be some small-scale operation like a club, a church, a museum, one
guy sending newsletters, etc.  Why?  I suppose because larger places
have enough IT staff that some one of them knows how to get this right.
I end up talking with people who half the time don't know what HELO is
or how to configure it.  The other half get it fixed but act as if we
are the only place they send mail to that ever cared, which is probably
the case.

Joseph Brennan