[Mimedefang] Including archetypal filters to include in release?

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Tue Jan 10 13:27:36 EST 2006

--On Monday, January 9, 2006 16:21 -0700 Philip Prindeville
<philipp_subx at redfish-solutions.com> wrote:

>     if ($helo =~ /^(\d{1,3})\.(\d{1,3})\.(\d{1,3})\.(\d{1,3})$/) {
>         return ('REJECT', "Incorrect format for address-literal");
. . .
>     if (index($helo, '.') == -1) {
>         return ('REJECT', "Expected fully-qualified domain name");
. . .

> Anyone have any suggestions or comments about how this could be improved?

You will reject legitimate mail from variously misconfigured servers.
They will tend to be run by nonprofits and small businesses.  Remember
that the purpose of the exercise is not be RFC cop but to cut down on
spam.  I think you'll have to back off rejecting these and have to
score for this instead.  That's my experience anyway.

Joseph Brennan