[Mimedefang] Pre-Emptive Greylist entries

Paul Murphy pjm at ousekjarr.org
Tue Jan 10 13:26:43 EST 2006

> Paul, I appreciate what you're saying above.  But isn't it likely that if
spammers
> are going to the trouble to add SPF records that they're also going to the
> trouble to retry after a tempfail, and thus defeat greylisting?

Yes, some are already doing this.  However, I suspect that others are now
smart enough to realise that anyone doing greylisting is probably also ahead
of the game on content filtering, so retrying is a waste of time.
Alternatively, they may be smart enough to realise that a "go away spammer"
response from a system they do get through to is unlikely to change if they
retry with a different address or similarly spammy content, so they may
update their lists to provide a smaller address database which has a much
higher confirmed delivery rate.  Business advantage and all that...

> The case that I was trying to check for was the case where the spammer
> sends through a proxy or a zombie and otherwise impersonates
> the sender.

That's virtually impossible to check for, which leaves us with content
checking.

Paul.