[Mimedefang] Pre-Emptive Greylist entries

Roland Pope rpope at jadeworld.com
Mon Jan 9 20:49:51 EST 2006

Hi all,

I have implemented a fiddled version of John Kirkland's MySQL MD-Greylist
code (Thanks to Gary Funk for sending me the code), which is reducing SPAM,
but producing complaints from users that some important customer emails are
being delayed.

One idea I had was to try and create a whitelist entry in the database for
emails sent from within my network to customers, to try and reduce delays
for initial replies from said customers.

Ie. When one of my users sends an  email from user at mynet.com to
customer at custnet.com, I lookup custnet.com in DNS, get the IP's of the
highest priority MX's and create a whitelist entry so that it decreases the
chance that a reply from customer at custnet.com to user at mynet.com. gets
delayed by the greylist code.

What do you think about this idea? Does anyone have any suggestions for
improvements?

Thanks
Roland