[Mimedefang] earlytalker during connect

nathan r. hruby nhruby at uga.edu
Sat Jan 7 14:20:29 EST 2006

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Does anyone know if there are legitimate mailers that connect
> and send before the answering host completes it's smtp 220
> greeting?  The reason I ask is that the qpsmtpd project
> has an option enabled by default that drops inbound connections
> if they send too soon.  I'm not sure if this is possible
> or desirable with sendmail as the front end but I'd like
> to know if it is always spam senders that do this and the
> people on this list probably have as much experience with
> broken-but-legitimate mailer behavior as anyone...

The sendmail option is greet_pause.  This was discussed on spam-l
recently.  I think the overall thought was that it mostly worked, but there
were a few cases of legitimate mailers that did tend to jump the gun and
needed whitelisting.

-n

nathan hruby <nhruby at uga.edu>
uga enterprise information technology services
core services  support