[Mimedefang] earlytalker during connect

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Jan 7 13:47:41 EST 2006

Does anyone know if there are legitimate mailers that connect
and send before the answering host completes it's smtp 220
greeting?  The reason I ask is that the qpsmtpd project
has an option enabled by default that drops inbound connections
if they send too soon.  I'm not sure if this is possible
or desirable with sendmail as the front end but I'd like
to know if it is always spam senders that do this and the
people on this list probably have as much experience with
broken-but-legitimate mailer behavior as anyone...

On a side note, qpsmtpd is an smtp receiver in perl that
can be used as a proxy or as the front end for qmail or
postfix systems that has hooks to do the same things
that MimeDefang does.  It also provides a milter interface
that in theory would let you run MimeDefang on qmail
or postfix systems but I don't think anyone has tested
it.  (http://smtpd.develooper.com/)  I've been watching
the project because it will be included in the next version
of SMEserver (http://contribs.org/modules/news/) which
is a 'server appliance' linux distribution that is handy for
small/remote offices.

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com