[Mimedefang] That .com extension

Steffen Kaiser skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de
Wed Jan 4 10:54:15 EST 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Joseph Brennan wrote:

> Interestingly I cannot duplicate the problem even by sending a file
> with a similar name.  However the client I am using puts quotes around
> the filename.  That appears to be the difference.

Hmm, I remember a post from David (ds) that there is no difference,
because after the MIME tools processed the message, one cannot determine
the difference. Anyway, I was hit by the problem now and then, too; it
always was some kind of forwarded webpage from a host of the .com domain.
I even had the problem myself with Pine at least one time.

When I read your post, it reminded of the problem and that I always wanted
to try out the idea I posted in the second message. :-( Esp. to get rid of
the non-ASCII characters and MIME-encoded filenames lots of MUAs used here
cannot handle nicely. E.g. Mozilla and Pine try to save
"=?=iso8851-1=sklmsdks" or however the correct encoding looks like. In
Unix, that even succeeds, in Windows elder Mozilla simply silently ignored
the problem saving the file (invalid filename) prior opening the
associated application and the users phoned "Mozilla is not working. I
cannot open that attachement". <bah>

> (Off on a tangent:  The exact name seems to be too long for OSX so I
> used "WSJ.com - Cutting Hedge_Law.pdf" which should hit the same trap.
> Can Windows names be that long?  Is the name another error, in addition
> to missing quotes?)

Well, that depends on the systems, in WinNT on NTFS there is no real-live
limit. On FAT32 systems, it used to be 255 characters per component and
264 total or something like that.

--
Steffen Kaiser