[Mimedefang] That .com extension

Joseph Brennan brennan at columbia.edu
Wed Jan 4 10:08:49 EST 2006

--On Wednesday, January 4, 2006 9:02 +0100 Steffen Kaiser
<skmimedefang at smail.inf.fh-bonn-rhein-sieg.de> wrote:

> This is in order to prevent using a partial name, when using invalid MIME
> syntax, e.g.:
>
> Content/type=application/octet-string;
>   filename= WSJ.com - Cutting Hedge_Law Firm Grows With Funds.pdf
>
> Note the missing quotes of the filename tag.
>
> There are reports that some MUAs ignore the text after the ".com" part
> and, hence, would treat the attachment as executable file.
>
> MIMEDefang does not know whether there are quotes or not, hence, it
> assumes that they are not.

Interestingly I cannot duplicate the problem even by sending a file
with a similar name.  However the client I am using puts quotes around
the filename.  That appears to be the difference.

(Off on a tangent:  The exact name seems to be too long for OSX so I
used "WSJ.com - Cutting Hedge_Law.pdf" which should hit the same trap.
Can Windows names be that long?  Is the name another error, in addition
to missing quotes?)

Joseph Brennan      postmaster at columbia.edu
Columbia University in the City of New York