[Mimedefang] RE: Installing MD on a Solaris 8 box?

Wilco md.list at tuskor.net
Mon Feb 27 20:33:27 EST 2006

Hi,

>>------------------------------
>>From: Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser at cactus.fi.uba.ar>
>>
>>I need to install MIMEDefang, SpamAssassin and ClamAV on a Solaris 8 box
>>
>>>From what I've seen, the gcc and perl versions are ancient, perl
>>is 5.005 and gcc is 2.95, so it seems I have to upgrade it.
>>sendmail is 8.11, I think I have to upgrade it too.
>>
>>Has anyone done it? are there any gotchas I should be aware of?

Indeed, it can be done, and I have, using the SMC (sunfreeware.com) gcc.

But after a short while (about 2 installations and 1 upgrade) I started
using the Blastwave (or CSW for short) packages (www.blastwave.org).
Usually these packaged versions are available quite soon (quick enough
for me at least) after a new release.
Blastwave, in my experience, offers newer packages than SMC does and
they offer a download mechanism together with dependencies (a bit
similar to apt in Debian Linux I suppose). For example: when you
instruct it to install mimedefang it will by itself add the necessary
Perl modules.
Pkg-get as well as the packages work quite well when you have the
bandwidth, but do note that when you perform an upgrade it has to
uninstall the old version of the package first, leaving you without a
working mimedefang (and thus mailservice) during the entire upgrade.
When a lot of packages need upgrading you are without mimedefang for a
long time! (I call mimedefang through an inet-socket which allows me to
choose another mimedefang instance on another server flexibly.)
I still also use the SMC packages though (i.e. gcc), in my experience
they can be mixed.

Blastwave also offers a newer sendmail version (also for solaris 8 iirc)
which includes milter-support, but I haven't used that myself.

My 2 cents,
Wilco