[Mimedefang] OT: Better file transfer system?

WBrown at e1b.org WBrown at e1b.org
Mon Feb 27 11:22:37 EST 2006

Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com> wrote on 02/27/2006 10:56:56 AM:

> The discussion of grey listing and "critical email" reminds me that
email
> is used a lot as a B2B file transfer system. At least, it gets used that

> way a lot by my company and its partners.
[snip]
> What other options have you come up with that avoid abusing email as a
file
> transfer system?

You are not alone.  I see lots of files being sent internally  and
externally via email.  Another trick I see around here is to use email to
transfer a file from one machine to another.  They email it to themselves,
and then log in on the other computer and download it.

We have limits set that over 5MB gets dropped to low priority.  At that
state, internal mail will still be routed, but external mail waits until
after 5PM.  Over 10 MB is blocked.  Tough luck.

We tell users to use FTP and our helpdesk has directions on assisting
users to do it.