[Mimedefang] OT: Better file transfer system?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Mon Feb 27 10:56:56 EST 2006

The discussion of grey listing and "critical email" reminds me that email
is used a lot as a B2B file transfer system. At least, it gets used that
way a lot by my company and its partners.

What better alternatives are available?

For selected partners I've set up "web folders" using Apache's DAV module.
Windows clients can create a web folder that supports drag and drop, and
the connection can be secured over HTTPS. The folder can be viewed using an
ordinary web browser. People dropping files in the folder send an email to
alert the recipient that the file is available. This works great when
transferring large files over a slow connection. The process of creating
each partner's folder is somewhat manual (I have to set up an Apache
Location clause for each folder) and I have to create an htpasswd file for
each client and email them a password. (Anyone have tools to automate this?)

I've seen companies that use email internally even when a file server with
a public shared folder is available. (My machinists use a shared folder to
exchange CNC programs and drawings.)

What other options have you come up with that avoid abusing email as a file
transfer system?