[Mimedefang] Justifying greylisting to management

Guido mimedefang.at.lists.roaringpenguin.com at starbase12.cjb.net
Sun Feb 26 11:08:27 EST 2006

On Sunday 26 February 2006 05:28, Jeff Rife wrote:
> But, I absolutely can't get the PHBs at my work to approve of a full
> install there (currently I just greylist anything addressed to me)
> because "critical e-mail might be delayed".  After much thought, I
> realize there is no way I can fight this particular issue, because no
> matter how much whitelisting you do, it could happen.  For the same
> reason, even an "opt in" approach isn't likely to happen, since the
> PHBs feel that individual employees aren't smart enough to be able to
> judge if they might need to receive a "critical" e-mail.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my personal opinion is that this reason is
nonsense. (Okay, I guess that could be phrased more diplomatically, but hear
me out).

Although email quite often is comparable to instant messaging, email was not
designed to be instant. Hence delays can and will happen.

So if email is really that critical that it is not permissable to delay it
with greylisting, well, then that information should not have been sent by
email in the first place.

As a sidenote, I'm using several antispam techniques with mimedefang, among
them I'm doing greylisting based on spamassassin hits so only possible and
definite spam mails will be greylisted. This way most regular mails will be
received directly while the spammy ones will be greylisted. Admitted, it
wouldn't help you very much since it still means that occasionally a regular
mail will get greylisted.

Just my two cents. :)

Regards,

Guido

--
10) there is no 10, but it sounded like a nice number :)
        -- Wichert Akkerman