[Mimedefang] Greylisting

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Wed Feb 22 18:02:31 EST 2006

OK, so I've been bad at keeping up with messages....

On 14 Dec 2005 at 21:37, David F. Skoll wrote:

> Our (commercial) implementation of greylisting notes when a host
> makes it past the greylist hurdle.  Once that happens, we don't greylist
> that host for 40 days.  It's a simple trick that greatly reduces the annoyance
> of greylisting delays without materially reducing the effectiveness of
> greylisting.  I'm not sure if any of the free greylisting implementations
> do this

Yes, indeed.

Milter-greylist with the "lazyaw" setting will do exactly what you
describe.

Basically, the first time sender/recipient/IP gets greylisted, but when
they succeed, "lazyaw" causes the IP address to be whitelisted instead
of the tuple.  Combining that with "subnetmatch /32" and "autowhite
40d" would do exactly what you said.

I suspect that anybody using "lazyaw" would want to change the
"subnetmatch /24" default because whitelisting 256 IPs because just one
retried would be a bit too much, I think.

--
Jeff Rife |