[Mimedefang] Double From: lines in email

Damrose, Mark mdamrose at elgin.edu
Tue Feb 21 16:51:30 EST 2006

I agree.  The only question is - does it occur often enough to warrant
a check for it?

> Duplicate From: headers are illegal,
> according to rfc 2822 (section 3.6.1). However, you can have
> multiple addresses in one From: header.

You can only have multiple addresses in From:, if there is an
accompanying Sender: header to indicate which one actually
sent it.  I've never seen a legitimate use for it though.

> A quick check finds 3 examples of this in my recent spam, and
> zero in ham, but that's a real quick and limited check over
> like 1500 messages.

A quick check of the quarantine folders here finds 1 double from,
and 2 with no from line at all.  All three of them look like they
were generated by overloading a vulnerable web script.