[Mimedefang] SpamAssassin DnsResolver.pm problem with Embedded Interpreter

David Eisner cradle at umd.edu
Tue Feb 7 18:46:21 EST 2006

I setup Mimedefang 2.55 with SpamAssassin 3.1.0 on a non-production
Centos 3.6 Linux box.  The machine in question has only 128MB of RAM, so
I'd like to get the embedded interpreter working.  Also, this is how the
production version will be configured (not the 128MB RAM part, though :-).

When I turn on the embed flag, I have two problems.

1. mimedefang-multiplexor[24534]: WARNING: Something in your Perl filter
appears to have opened a file descriptor outside of any function....

2.  mimedefang-multiplexor[24534]: Slave 0 stderr: dns: sendto()
failed:  at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/DnsResolver.pm line 320.
mimedefang-multiplexor[24534]: Slave 0 stderr: dns: select failed: Bad
file descriptor at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/Mail/SpamAssassin/DnsResolver.pm line 347.
last message repeated 8451 times

If I disable SpamAssassin, problem 1 (and of course problem 2) goes away.

Perhaps something in SpamAssassin is opening a descriptor during
initialization.  I tried creating a filter_initialize sub in
mimedefang-filter, with

   eval "use Mail::SpamAssassin;";

in it, but that didn't help.

Any ideas?