[Mimedefang] Verizon and greylisting

Jeff Rife mimedefang at nabs.net
Sat Dec 23 10:13:32 EST 2006

On 22 Dec 2006 at 21:40, Joseph Brennan wrote:

> Jeff Rife <mimedefang at nabs.net> wrote:
>
> > if ($Sender eq '<>')        # don't greylist here for DSN or callback
> >   {
> >   if ($#Recipients > 1)     # Can't have more than one with null sender
>

> This is false.  Consider the case of a mailing list with more than
> one list owner.

So, how do you put the two list owners into the "MAIL FROM:" SMTP
command?  It's the argument for this command that turns into the
recipient of a DSN (eventually, because this is inserted into the
"Return-Path" header by receiving MTAs that accept the e-mail).

So, it's very possible that your list has more than one owner, but no
external MTA should be sending a DSN to multiple recipients...the
single recipient would be something like "list-owner at yourdomain.tld".

That may then get expanded into two or more addresses locally, but you
would never greylist that sort of e-mail, since it is originating at
127.0.0.1.

Yes, you could have a "Errors-To" header with more than one address,
but doing that and then accepting mail from "<>" to multiple users is
just asking for joe-jobs.

--
Jeff Rife | "There was a guy that was killed just like this