[Mimedefang] OT: RBL checking in Sendmail

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Sat Dec 16 17:04:25 EST 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 08:35:16PM -0500, Jeff Rife wrote:
> > Note, by the way, that you really want to test this at RCPT To time,
> > so you can exempt addresses like abuse@ and postmaster@ from the DNS
> > blacklists, so users who are incorrectly placed on those blacklists
> > can still contact you.
>
> This brings up another question that's somewhat related to David's not
> accepting e-mail for "postmaster" from "<>".
>
> What's the thought about rejecting an e-mail to postmaster, abuse,
> etc., if there are other recipients that aren't in the "required to
> exist" RFC list?

I don't think the RFC (but I haven't looked it up) makes an exception
here. Ie: you'll have to accept it.

> Basically, what I do now is look for those key addresses in
> filter_recipient and don't reject at that stage if it is one of those,
> and then in filter_begin I scan the @Recipients list for any of them,
> and also don't reject (except for viruses).
>
> But, some spam creeps through that is addressed to at least one of them
> and some other address.

If you want to solve it RFC compliant, you can do two things:

either move the mail for the "other" recipients to a spamfolder (or
just junk it), or, slightly more work:

in case you have multiple recipients, reject combinations of postmaster
and abuse with other users at filter_recipient time by tempfailing
them with "too many recipients".

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!