[Mimedefang] SMTP Header Syntax question

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 11 17:34:52 EST 2006

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 04:57:38PM -0500, Cormack, Ken wrote:
> The arg being passed (to a sendmail rule that we have) indicates that the
> HEADER "To:" line has incorrect syntax as follows:
>
> 	user1 at domain,user2 at domain,user3 at domain
>
> Note the presence of commas, but and the absence of spaces, in the above.
>
> I'm guessing that spaces are needed, but would like to be able to reference
> an RFC syntax quotation for the external developer, since both they and we
> maintain nothing has changed.

The spaces aren't needed.

You need RFC2822 (which obsoletes RFC822).

Section 3.6.3 says:

to              =       "To:" address-list CRLF

Section 3.4 defines an address-list:

address-list    =       (address *("," address)) / obs-addr-list

That pretty much says it all. You can follow the address definition
further if you like, but I'm sure you can guess what it means.

Note: This talks about the header, not envelope. Multiple addresses
aren't allowed on the "RCPT To:" envelope.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!