[Mimedefang] md is not the first relay

Jan-Pieter Cornet johnpc at xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 6 09:58:32 EST 2006

On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 10:18:05PM +0200, Yizhar Hurwitz wrote:
> This is what I read in "man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf":
[...]
> So, as far as I understand from the above:
>
> The general rule is:
> an MX server should be listed in "trusted_networks" and also in
> "internatl_networks"
>
> An exception rule is:
> but if the MX server is also accepting direct connections from client
> (for example an ISP outgoing mail server),
> then it should be listed only in "trusted_networks".

That is a somewhat simplified way of looking at it, but, it's
basically correct, yes.

> So in my case the general rule applies, because the MX server is used
> only for incoming mail,
> it is an ISP server dedicated for that purpose (as far as I know).
> dial up and home users of the ISP use a different server for sending
> their outbound mail.
>
> Am I correct?

Yup.

And in the general case, internal_networks will be the same as
trusted_networks, so you don't have to set them both, necessarily. But
it might be good practice to set them both explicitly, even if just for
documentation purposes.

--
Jan-Pieter Cornet <johnpc at xs4all.nl>
!! Disclamer: The addressee of this email is not the intended recipient. !!